Did you know? The Blackjack game was bought to America in the 18th century by the French Colonists which was initially called ‘21’. Well, there are a few differences between the rules of the Blackjack game then and now. In the 20th century, this game was still called ‘21’ until a few casinos offered a payout of 10:1 and a player made 21 points with the ace of spades and with one of the blackjacks including the Jack of spades or clubs. Although the payout was immediately removed, the name ’Blackjack’ was still stuck and this is how the name of the game ‘21’ was changed to ‘Blackjack’.
Getting Started with Blackjack
It is important to note that the rules of the Blackjack game vary from one live casino to another. Hence, it is of paramount importance that the players read the terms and conditions thoroughly.
Blackjack is usually played in a semi-circular table covered with a felt cloth which can accommodate up to a maximum of 7 players. The game table consists of a betting spot which is square in shape where the bets are placed by the players. A live dealer who is professionally trained manages and deals with the cards following the casino protocols and bets.
Basic Rules of Blackjack
Here are some of the points to be kept in mind before you begin with the Blackjack game.
The game of Blackjack begins with placing a bet.
The live dealer places two cards to the players and two cards to himself, one card being face up and the other being face down.
All the cards have their face values. Picture cards count as 10 and the ace can count as either 1 or 11. Card suits have no meaning in Blackjack. The total of any hand is the sum of the card values in the hand.
It is up to the player to decide whether to stand, hit, surrender, double down or split.
The dealer acts the last and has to hit on 16 or less and stand on 17 through 21.
The players are declared as winners only when their hand totals to a value higher than the dealer’s hands.
Key Take-Aways which can Help you Play the Game Better
- Blackjack was offered in all the legalised casinos in Las Vegas in the year 1931 even when the casino operators did not know about the game rules and features.
- The objective of blackjack is to beat the dealer’s hand either by having a total that exceeds the dealer’s total or by not going over 21 when the dealer does.
- Players have a number of playing options that include surrender, pair splitting, doubling down, hitting and standing.
- The game of Blackjack has its procedures, codes of conduct, and playing strategies to ensure the security and integrity of the game, thus eliminating hindrances between the player, fellow players and the dealer.
- By using the basic playing strategy, it’s possible to reduce the house edge to less than 1% (rules dependent).
- Blackjack is a game of skill, not solely chance, and by using certain playing and betting techniques, it is possible to swing the odds in your favour and this does not apply to any other casino game.
SummaryName: Live Blackjack
Author: Charles Richter
Published Date: 14/12/2018